SKIPPER’S LOG ENTRY DATE: January 13, 2023 [Gregorian] <=> May 5, 2015 [Ancestral] STARPORTAL MISSION: Restoring humanity’s navigational settings to their organic space-time co-ordinates @ Earth’s Ma’atrix… Temple of the World… The Womb of Time… Hwt~Hr… in accordance with the following data:
- Hwt-Hr ~ in the most ancient Africa-centered sense means House or Mansion of S/Heru… everywoman’s Divine Womb where human lives are seeded, gestated, & eventually born into the 3D Circle of Life through Hwt-Hr‘s Portal. This evolutionary outcome is the first in a series of S/Hero‘s Journey cycles through Mysteries & Portals that this newly created Life will yet encounter. For chosen primordial beings of light, these Journeys will be about merging, remembering, awakening, ascending, reactivating, & completing their soul’s mission in this particular 3D sojourn. So, if in review 2022 felt like Humanity collectively reached a point of critical mass on key levels of consciousness, it was likely Mother Earth’s preparation, through these primordials, for 2023… A Year of re-Entry.
- Hathor [Hwt-Hr] is such a being whose name and Goddess characteristics were originally ascribed in Kmt (ancient Egypt) where there are 3 profoundly related aspects to Her worship:
- (1) As Goddess of Music, Dance, & Beauty Hwt-Hr was referred to as: “Bearer of the Sistrum… Queen of the Dance… Mistress of Music… Queen of Harp Playing… Lady of the Choral Dance… Mistress of Inebriety Without End… The One Who Fills the Sanctuary with Joy… Lady of Fragrance… Lady of the House of Jubilation… Hathor’s priestesses and priests were musicians and dancers whose rituals of worship entranced & entertained as they filled the sanctuary with the sounds of song, drumming, & various other instruments such as lyres, pan-pipes & sistrums – rattles that were sacred to Hathor. The sistrum‘s rattle, which reportedly sounded like “the cackling of geese or the rustle of papyrus flowers,” helped create a sonic shield of protection against wrathful deities such as Set.
- (2) As Goddess of Fertility, Children, Birth, & Women Hwt-Hr was referred to as “the Goose that laid the Golden Egg… Milk of Life… Celestial Nurse…” As such, she was regarded as the fertility aspect of Auset – wife of King Ausar who was murdered & mutilated during his jealous brother Set’s evil coup of Heaven-on-Earth’s throne. The pieces of Ausar’s body were scattered in the “wilderness” [aka the colonized African Continent & its Diaspora], the 14th of which is symbolized in the ancient Tkhn and remains key to humanity’s unresolved Mystery that widow Auset must resolve in Her Shero’s Journey & role as Divine Seeker. Auset’s posthumous conception of their son Heru/Hero (who grew up to avenge his father & reclaim Kmt’s throne in this archetypal narrative) was translated in biblical text as the immaculate conception of Christ.
- (3) As Goddess of the S/Hero’s Journey, Foreign Lands, & the Circle of Life Hwt-Hr was referred to as Lady of the Sycamore of the South… Lady of the West (direction of the setting sun/‘death’)… Mistress of the Necropolis… Lady of the Tomb… She who is Adorned with Stars…” As “Lady of the Sycamore of the South,” Hathor used milk from Her Mother Tree to restore sight to Heru after one of his bruising battles against antagonist Set (usurper of Ausar’s Heaven-on-Earth throne). “His eyes are as the eyes of doves by the rivers of waters, washed with milk & fitly set.” [SoS 5:12 KJV]. A spell in the Book of the Dead names the Seven Hathors – AKA 7 Sisters or Pleiades star system – of the Taurus Celestial Herd/constellation. The 7 Hathors are said to question & assist the soul’s Circle of Life journey, which is accompanied in death by the sky-bull [Ausar/Taurus] who’s joined the Hathors in their cow form. Hathor “Lady of the West” appears on sarcophagi as Portal & Protector in the great beyond.
- Hathor’s epithets & symbols are consistent with the deepest Mysteries of Africa’s oral-aesthetic traditions in which “music” (enhanced speech) is understood to act as nommo – the generative power of the word… the seed. As such, orality represents the masculine co-creative agency of Heru the Elder (Hathor’s Divine Masculine counterpart), who depends on the Divine Feminine’s regenerative resources in His grand progression & evolution through Life’s circle.
- Referred to as The Womb Of Time, Hathor’s temple at Dendera on the west bank of the sacred Nile River is where the Goddess is worshipped as the personification of feminine love, joy, & sensuality in Her conjoined roles as spouse, lover, divine womb, life portal, & nurturing mother. Facing the direction of the Nile-Star & Spiritual Sun Sopdet’s rising, Dendera Temple itself was a nourishing space for healing, learning, & birthing. It housed a sanatorium with magic bathing waters & a sacred well; labs where ceremonial perfumes were concocted; a papyrus library; a birthing place; & chapels devoted to the mythologies of Auset~Ausar~Heru…
- Rising from the earth/floor & holding aloft the heavens/ceiling, Dendera Temple’s pillars symbolize the shaft of the sistrum – Hathor’s sacred instrument. Atop each pillar is Hathor’s face, portrayed symbolically as the womb/uterus – the Divine Feminine’s co-creative organ – its fallopian tubes depicted as elongated ears through which she receives sound… word… seed… nommo. As co-manifestor, Heru – who helps frame & uphold the heavens per the Dendera Zodiac [right] – is master-musician to Hathor, each Divine co-creator highly attuned to the other’s freequency [UbuNtu] & subsequent resurrection modalities of their celebrated Re-Entry…
- Similar to the annual Feast of Opet that was staged between the southern and northern sanctuaries on the Nile’s east bank of God/dess consorts Amun-Re/Mut was the ‘Beautiful Feast of the Reunion’ (Hab Nefer en Sekhen) between God/dess consorts Heru/Hathor. The name Hwt-Hr (‘mansion of Heru’) became fully illumined through the fertility rituals surrounding their annual conjugal visit & Reunion Feast which entailed Hathor being sailed upstream on the Nile River from Dendera to Heru’s Temple at Edfu, also on the west bank, accompanied by a mix of musicians & other creatives who were priests of the goddess. Celebrations surrounding Hathor’s arrival included offerings of myrrh, aromatics, & sistrums (her sacred instrument) as well as hymns encouraging her to unite with “He of Dappled Plumage.” Harvest-related elements included offerings to the Divine Ancestors; the ritual harpooning of a red hippopotamus [representing enemies of the state – Set]; & the release of 4 geese (Hathor’s sacred bird) on the 2nd day of the feast to bear the news that Heru had received the Double Crown.
- The Double Crown, called pschent or sekhemty (the ‘Two Powerful Ones’) was worn by ancient leaders of Kmt to symbolize the unification between South/Upper & North/Lower kingdoms which, in current pan-African space-time refers to earth’s southern & northern hemispheres. In Kmt the white Hedjet & red Deshret crowns were symbolic of South & North respectively, denoting a productive unification between Divine Feminine & Masculine – the ‘Two Powerful Ones’ – which the ankh also conveys as the Key of Life. As Divine God/dess Counterparts, each represents complementary co-creational forces that explain & necessitate each other and – from their higher vibration – inform & uphold the structure & harmonious workings of the universe. Indeed, following the close of the Edfu festivities, Hathor traveled back to Dendera, gave birth to Heru’s fully formed seed, their child who was portrayed as a naked sistrum player & celebrated as God Ihy or alternatively as Heru-Sema-Tawy.
- Sema (“Speak/Say!” in Swahili) means ‘to unify’ & Tawy means ‘the Lands.’ Nommo/seed (masculine) planted in the lands (feminine) is understood as UbuNtu in Africa-centered unity-conscious oral-aesthetic modes of creation, expression, & social evolution. The unification of South & North Kmt that began in the Early Dynastic Period under Pharaoh Menes aka Narmer in 3100BCE used the distinct Sema-Tawy symbol of a human trachea/windpipe rising from the heart chakra entwined with the lotus (South) & papyrus (North). The Double Crown represented a leader’s consciousness of & promise to uphold the constitutionality of that arrangement during their rule. Narmer‘s was the first of 30 successive dynasties which ruled & maintained civil order through a centralized government from the unified capital of Men-nefer or Memphis.
- Hwt-Hr/Hathor’s depiction as the Goose that laid the Golden Egg shows a lotus plant wrapped around Her neck. The lotus plant symbolizes the Nile’s southern source & humanity’s womb in the sentient heart of Africa whose gifts, transported on the sacred river’s northward flow, facilitated the flowering of ancient Egypt & Mysteries of Life, Death, & Resurrection that were documented on papyrus scrolls & taught in temples. As ‘Lady of the West’ it’s of no small significance that both Hathor & Heru’s temples are on the west bank of the sacred river where royal burial sites [pyramids, Valley of the Kings, Necropolis of Thebes…] are strategically located. The sun’s eastern rising & western setting was seen in relation to the sacred Nile River Ma’atrix as the world’s Womb of Time/Prime Meridian within whose grand design Humanity’s Axis Mundi, Mysteries, Navigational Settings, True Compass [N-S-E-W], Divine Order, & Constitutional Balance are encoded… ‘As Above, So Below.’
- Of this grand design, God Djehuti asks: “Art thou not aware that Kmt is the image of heaven, or rather, that it is the projection below of the order of things above? If the truth must be told, this land is indeed The Temple Of The World…” These ancient lands where monomyths, god/dess archetypes, protagonists & antagonists alike assumed their original narrative form, remain embedded within our collective S/Hero’s psyche as we Journey through the south-north hemispheres of life’s expanded theater.
- Djehuti went on to lament a time when this Temple of the World – the Nile Valley Ma’atrix – would be forced out of its sacred alignment with the Heavens, becoming “filled with strangers [&] widowed of the Gods…: To thee I cry, O most sacred River, to thee I announce the coming doom!… [Kmt]/Egypt, once the holy land beloved of the Gods and full of devotion for their worship, will become the instrument of perversion, the school of impiety…”
- Set (antagonist… God of the desert, foreign oppression, storms, chaos, disorder, perversion, & violence), came at the Temple of the World as prophesied, with comprehensive & devastating European agendas of slavery, colonialism, apartheid… all racist & misogynistic enterprises that plundered & scattered Africa’s human, natural, cultural, & spiritual resources, and misaligned humanity’s organic space-time settings around a Europatriarchal axis & false matrix.
- At the doorstep of a new Gregorian year where (amongst other places) the chickens are home roosting, we’ve become enlightened about certain “facts” that fail to add up – such as the Eurocentrically designated year of “2023.” Today, January 13th, 2023 is the Gregorian/Catholic version of May 5th, 2015 on the ancestral calendar of the Orthodox Tewahedo Church of Ethiopia – the one African country that the European powers gathered at the racist 1884 Berlin Conference [aka Europe’s ‘Scramble for Africa’] failed to colonize as an add-on to slavery.
- According to expert scholars, the critical difference between the two religious calendars has to do with their divergent calculations & narrative regarding ‘THE ANNUNCIATION’ – originally recorded in the throat area of Ipet-Resyt [click picture for video link @1:17:20] – God/dess Amun/Mut’s “Southern Sanctuary” in humanity’s Temple of the World. Following their interpretation & appropriation of this ancient Mystery, the Roman Catholic annunciation became a visitation between ‘Angel Gabriel’ & ‘Mary,’ & the official Gregorian calendar reset of global space-time around her ‘virgin birth’ to ‘Jesus’ – calculated to make “all roads lead to Rome.” Ironic then that Italy was unable to colonize Ethiopia, making her Africa’s oldest independent country.
- Another major glitch of the matrix space-timeline is in Europe’s recalibration of “point-zero longitude” to Greenwich [GMT] in England, over 30 degrees west of humanity’s organic Prime Meridian & equatorial source. The point at which zero degrees latitude & longitide should intersect is not over the Atlantic slave trade route, but over the body of water misnamed for the Grandmother of Europe who presided over her country’s continued craven ‘Scramble for Africa.’ Victoria – whose length of reign as Britain’s monarch [1837-1901] was surpassed only by great-great granddaughter Elizabeth II [1952-2022] – is ancestor to Charles III whose scheduled coronation is on May 6, 2023 [Gregorian] & William who inherits his narcissistic colonial sense of entitlement to Africa as Britain’s future monarch. Meanwhile, KC3 & company will keep the fancy costume show going with its bedazzling collection of “official” family wealth (pillaged & other) as he presides over GMT & a shrinking Commonwealth – vestiges of a gluttonous & deceptive Eurocentric space-time matrix.
- Unattended wounds on Humanity’s womb bear the family names of Her colonial violators: ‘Victoria… Albert… Edward… George…’ Substituting these names with those of African dictators who subscribe to Set’s same playbook simply compounds the problem. Lake Mobutu Sese Seko is a non-starter as a post-colonial reclamation of Lake “Albert” – originally Lake Mwitanzige – which, like Lake “Edward” (locally Rweru), lies on the nonsensical colonial divide between Uganda & Democratic Republic of the Congo. Lake “George” (originally Lake Katunguru) lies in a National Park that remains named for Elizabeth II [queen since 1952] over 60 years after Uganda’s independence from Britain in 1962, the last 36+ years presided over by the 9th & current post-colonial President Yoweri Kaguta Museveni [1986-].
- Set’s Victorian teat has made sleeping giants of us all, dispensing propofol even as sentient Mother Earth expresses Her displeasure through global warming & other organic disorders. Nchi za Maziwa Mkuu – Swahili meaning “Countries of the Great Milk” – recalls Djehuti’s Temple of the World reference to Nile Valley lands as earth’s reflection of Heaven’s Milky Way. Known in Tanzania as Nyanza & in Kenya as Nam Lowe (both local names meaning Body of Endless Water), Uganda’s original name for the southernmost sacred womb of the Nile River is Nnalubaale (meaning Home of the Gods). And in the Bunyoro kingdom directly north of Toro where Lake “Albert” is located, the hereditary Royal title, Omukama, literally means ‘supreme milk-bringer’ or alternatively ‘King of kings.’ This primordial wisdom is encoded in African folklore, geography, & astronomical bonds… cultural DNA that humanity can no longer afford to remain colonized at Her equatorial wellspring.
- The Nile is earth’s longest river, traveling well over 4,000 miles northwards through 11 African countries – Nchi za Maziwa Mkuu: Kenya; Tanzania; Uganda; Rwanda; Burundi; DR Congo; Ethiopia; Eritrea; South Sudan; Sudan; & Egypt. Khartoum, Sudan is where the White Nile meets the Blue Nile (sourced by Lake Tana in Ethiopia) to flow as one sacred river towards the Mediterranean Sea. Its southernmost womb is also source to the Congo River Basin whose waters flow into the Atlantic Ocean. Linked in BaNtu mystery, memory, & song as “…The Drinking Gourd” – a coded astronomical reference which directed enslaved Africans towards freedom on America’s Underground Railroad – the cultural practice of water drumming came into being in this complex river basin.
- Most of humanity have been misled into a profound sense of isolation, alienation, & disorientation because of Set’s [prophesied] hijacking of Heaven-on-Earth relationships from the Temple of the World, Ma’atrix, and Womb of Time. The Dendera Zodiac, stolen from its original ceiling location in Goddess Hathor’s temple, confounded France’s best scientists, astronomers & mathematicians regarding celestial events within the constellations depicted on the artifact, including the movement of Sopdet – Hathor’s Nile Star. The church was troubled by the probability of the Dendera Zodiac being thousands of years older than the biblical “creation” date, a concern compounded by the original ‘ANNUNCIATION’ recorded in the throat area of Ipet-Resyt [now Luxor Temple] – “the southern sanctuary” to Ipet-Isut [now Karnak Temple] – God/dess Amun/Mut‘s northern sanctuary whose name means “the most select of places.”
- Sheru’s CALL: “Make haste, my beloved…” [SoS 8:14] #NAKUMBUKA #UBUNTU
- Who is she that looketh forth as the morning, fair as the moon, clear as the sun, and terrible as an army with banners?… [SoS 6:10] Return, return, O Shulamite; return, return, that we may look upon thee… [SoS 6:13]
- “Only the black woman can say ‘when and where I enter, in the quiet, undisputed dignity of my womanhood, without violence and without suing or special patronage, then and there the whole …race enters with me.” [Dr. Anna Julia Cooper, 1892]
- Heru’s RESPONSE: “Behold, I come quickly; hold that fast which Thou hast, that no one take Thy Crown” [Rev 3:11]
- STATUS: Standing by for Re-Entry… #13O31… Blessed Be ❤ ❤ ❤
“Our Father which art in Heaven…” So begins the Lord’s Prayer [Matthew 6:9-13 KJV], depicted here in hieroglyphs from the middle-Egyptian era [-2100 BCE]. “…Amen” – the ending of the prayer which means “so be it” – further invokes the ancient deity Amun who was worshipped in two major temples located in Uaset on the east bank of Africa’s northward-flowing Nile River. God Amun, Goddess Mut, and Montu (son of the Annunciation) have the historical distinction of being the highly popular Triad of Thebes [‘Thebes’ being the Greek term for Uaset]. Ipet Isut – meaning “the most selected of places” – nowadays referred to as the Karnak Temple, is the Triad’s Northern sanctuary. Ipet Resyt – meaning “the Southern sanctuary” – nowadays referred to as the Luxor Temple, is the site of the Annunciation from Amun to Mut regarding Montu, the Divine Son She is destined to bear [click picture on the left for link @ 1:17:20].
“A house has the character of the man who lives in it” ~ This proverb from Ipet Resyt provides insight into religions which were later derived from such ancient Mysteries to the extent that latter-day belief systems did indeed assume the egoic character, cultural biases, and imperialistic agendas of Africa’s foreign patriarchal conquerors. As such, this prophetic proverb understates what would inevitably become Africa’s subsequent experiencing of the “religiously-justified” Euro-patriarchal ravaging of Her spiritual, natural, human, and cultural resources through slavery [1619-], colonialism [1884-] and apartheid [1948-]; desecrating the Nile Valley Temple of the World (per God Djehuti) and beyond, while deploying derivative religious texts to usurp God Amun‘s spiritual standing as Founding Father. His standing lives on in the emancipatory leadership of Africa’s latter-day fathers who have refused to be contained within the characteristically deceptive dictates of a predatory, yet parasitic, alien house. The false matrix. Below are words representing the resistance, wisdom & sovereign character of some of these African patriarchs:
- “When the missionaries came to Africa they had the Bible and we had the land. They said ‘Let us pray.’ We closed our eyes. When we opened them, we had the Bible and they had the land.” [Jomo Kenyatta – Kenya]
- “The term Greek philosophy is a misnomer, for there is no such philosophy in existence. Ancient Egyptians had developed a very complex religious system, called the Mysteries, which was also the first system of salvation. As such, it regarded the human body as a prison house of the soul, which could be liberated from its bodily impediments through the disciplines of the Arts and Sciences, and advanced from the level of a mortal to that of a God.” [George G.M. James – Guyana]
- “I took up arms for the freedom of my color. It is our own – we will defend it or perish” … “They have in me struck down but the trunk of the tree; the roots are many and deep – they will shoot up again!” … “For too long we have borne your chains without thinking of shaking them off, but any authority which is not founded on virtue and humanity, and which only tends to subject one’s fellow man to slavery, must come to an end, and that end is yours.” [Toussaint Louverture – Haiti]
- “I am not African because I was born in Africa but because Africa was born in me” … “If by their fruits we shall know them, they must first grow the fruits” … “The independence of Ghana is meaningless unless it is linked-up with the total liberation of the African Continent.” [Kwame Nkrumah – Ghana]
- “The cruelties of property and privilege are always more ferocious than the revenges of poverty and oppression.” [C.L.R. James – Trinidad]
- “Each generation must discover its mission, fulfill it or betray it” … “I am black; I am in total fusion with the world, in sympathetic affinity with the earth, losing my id in the heart of the cosmos – and the white man, however intelligent he may be, is incapable of understanding Louis Armstrong or songs from the Congo. I am black, not because of a curse, but because my skin has been able to capture all the cosmic effluvia. I am truly a drop of sun under the earth” … “In the World through which I travel, I am endlessly creating myself”… “Two centuries ago, a former European colony decided to catch up with Europe. It succeeded so well that USA became a monster in which the taints, the sickness and the inhumanity of Europe have grown to appalling dimensions.” [Frantz Fanon – Martinique]
- ”Throughout history, it has been the inaction of those who could have acted; the indifference of those who should have known better; the silence of the voice of justice when it mattered most – that has made it possible for evil to triumph.” [Haile Selassie – Ethiopia]
- “In ancient times “African” and “Ethiopian” meant the same thing: A Black” … “no matter what the factual data were, all the books written about Blacks by their conquerors reflected the conquerors viewpoints” … “It appears that from time immemorial, stark greed, the desire for wealth, has overridden all humane considerations. Greed has served as a kind of anesthesia, deadening humane sentiments and breaking the bonds of affection that relates man to man.” [Chancellor Williams – USA]
- “Whoever is in control of the hell in your life is your devil” … “Racists will always call you a racist when you identify their racism. To love yourself, now is a form of racism. We are the only people who are criticized for loving ourselves; and white people think when you love yourself you hate them. No, when I love myself they become irrelevant to me” … “Every single thing that touches your life, religious, socially and politically, must be an instrument of your liberation or you must throw it into the trashcan of history” … “After the rise and decline of Greek civilization and the Roman destruction of Carthage, they made one area of the conquered territories into a province which they called Africa… At first the word applied only to the Roman colonies of North Africa. There was a time when all dark-skinned people were called “Ethiopians.” [John Henrik Clarke – USA]
- “Live life as though nobody is watching, and express yourself as though everyone is listening” … “One of the most difficult things is not to change society, but to change yourself” … “As we are liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others” … “Resentment is like drinking poison and then hoping it will kill your enemies” … “I never lose. I either win or learn” … “Fools multiply when wise men are silent” … “May your choices reflect your hopes, not your fears” … “Action without vision is only passing time, vision without action is merely day dreaming, but vision with action can change the world” … “Poverty is not an accident. Like slavery and apartheid, it is man-made and can be removed by the actions of human beings.” [Nelson Mandela – South Africa]
- “African unity and solidarity are no longer dreams. They must be expressed in decisions.” [Patrice Lumumba – Congo]
- “Decisions made in Washington are more important to us than those made here in Dar-es-Salaam. So, maybe my people should be allowed to vote in American presidential elections” … “In Tanganyika we believe that only evil, Godless men would make the color of a man’s skin the criteria for granting him civil rights” … “In Tanzania, it was more than one hundred tribal units which lost their freedom; it was one nation that regained it” … “African nationalism is meaningless, dangerous, anachronistic, if it is not, at the same time, pan-Africanism.” [Julius Nyerere – Tanzania]
- “While revolutionaries as individuals can be murdered, you cannot kill ideas” … “Imperialism is a system of exploitation that occurs not only in the brutal form of those who come with guns to conquer territory. Imperialism often occurs in more subtle forms: a loan, food aid, blackmail. We are fighting this system that allows a handful of men on Earth to rule all of humanity” … “The revolution and women’s liberation go together. We do not talk of women’s emancipation as an act of charity or out of a surge of human compassion. It is a basic necessity for the revolution to triumph. Women hold up the other half of the sky” … “Debt is a cleverly managed reconquest of Africa” … “It took the madmen of yesterday for us to be able to act with extreme clarity today. I want to be one of those madmen. We must dare to invent the future.” [Thomas Sankara – Burkina Faso]
- “If the choice were made, one for us to lose our sovereignty and become a member of the Commonwealth or remain with our sovereignty and lose the membership of the Commonwealth, I would say let the Commonwealth go.” [Robert Mugabe – Zimbabwe]
- “My father didn’t know his real name. My father got his name from his grandfather and he got his name from his grandfather and he got it from the slave master” … “You can’t hate the roots of a tree and not hate the tree. You can’t hate Africa and not hate yourself” … “The media’s the most powerful entity on earth. They have the power to make the innocent guilty and to make the guilty innocent, and that’s power. Because they control the minds of the masses” … “There is no better than adversity. Every defeat, every heartbreak, every loss, contains its own seed, its own lesson on how to improve your performance the next time” … “I just don’t believe that when people are being unjustly oppressed that they should let someone else set rules for them by which they can come out from under that oppression” … “I believe in the brotherhood of all men, but I don’t believe in wasting brotherhood on anyone who doesn’t want to practice it with me. Brotherhood is a two-way street.” [Malcolm X – USA]
- “The problem of the twentieth century is the problem of the color line… One ever feels his two-ness – an American, a Negro; two souls, two thoughts, two unreconciled strivings; two warring ideals in one dark body, whose dogged strength alone keeps it from being torn asunder.” [W.E.B. DuBois – USA]
- “[The] association of wealth with whites and poverty with blacks is not accidental. It is the nature of the imperialist relationship that enriches the metropolis at the expense of the colony i.e. it makes the whites richer and the blacks poorer” … “In reconstructing African civilizations, the concern is to indicate that African social life had meaning and value, and that the African past is one with which the black man in the Americas can identify with pride” … “The black intellectual, the black academic, must attach himself to the activity of the black masses” … “Beauty is in the very existence of black people.” [Walter Rodney – Guyana]
- “It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men” … “What to the Slave is the 4th of July?” … “You have seen how a man was made a slave; you shall see how a slave was made a man” … “The soul that is within me no man can degrade” … “[on equal rights of women…] It was hers before she comprehended it. It is inscribed upon all the powers and facilities of her soul, and no custom, law or usage can ever destroy it.” [Frederick Douglass – USA]
- “Power which establishes a state is violence; the power which maintains it is violence; the power which eventually overthrows it is violence” … “Westerners have aggressive problem-solving minds; Africans experience people.” [Kenneth Kaunda – Zambia]
- “The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge & controversy” … “Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that” … “A riot is the language of the unheard” … “Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere” … “Be a bush if you can’t be a tree. If you can’t be a highway, just be a trail. If you can’t be a sun, be a star. For it isn’t by size that you win or fail. Be the best of whatever you are” … “The arc of the moral universe is long, but it bends toward justice.” [Martin Luther King Jr. – USA]
- “A people without the knowledge of their past history, origin and culture is like a tree without roots” … “I have no desire to take all black people back to Africa; there are blacks who are no good here and will likewise be no good there” … “Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds” … “If we as a people realized the greatness from which we came we would be less likely to disrespect ourselves” … “The Black skin is not a badge of shame, but rather a glorious symbol of greatness.” [Marcus Garvey – Jamaica]
- “A Luta Continua!” [Eduardo Chivambo Mondlane – Mozambique]
On May 25th (“5/25”) 2020, two recorded events made headlines in Africa’s northern Diaspora. Both were horrific in the degree to which they were racially-charged and played out from the standpoint of white privilege and callousness against black lives. One was a blatant attempt to provoke a potentially dangerous police-confrontation against an innocent bird-watcher (Christian Cooper) in New York’s Central Park; and the other which demonstrated that very potential when George Floyd lived his final 8m:46s under the knee of a Minneapolis police officer. Unfortunately, such horrific occurrences as these are not uncommon, and the long list of African victims goes back to the era of slavery whose evils live on and play out in toxic ways from that unexorcised and overly-policed space which nonetheless claims to be the land and home of the free and brave. Officially commemorated as Memorial Day, May 25th (in 2020) – the date of these occurrences and America’s unofficial start of summer – is, perhaps ironically, also observed as African Liberation Day… Read More
July 4th, 1776 – a day when America declared its Independence from British colonial rule under King George III – is celebrated annually as America’s official birthday. Astrologers have been mulling over this date in much the same way as they would over an individual client’s birth chart, in anticipation of the planetary return of Pluto in 2022. Often described as God of Death and Rebirth, Pluto is regarded in western astrology as Lord of the Underworld. Located at the edge of our solar system, Pluto will return for the first time – on February 22nd, 2022 – to the exact same position it was in during America’s “birth” in 1776, following completion of the planet’s full 246-year cycle. To astrologers, this Pluto Return has profound implications in terms of its attitude and behavior towards America’s realizing of promises. It’s an anticipated Judgment Day of sorts. Read More
During America’s Underground Railroad era (1800-1865), Africans escaping slavery in the south knew through ‘map-songs’ that in order to Steal Away to Jesus, they’d have to Wade in the Water (to throw hunting dogs off their scent) and Follow the Drinking Gourd to freedom (“Jesus”). The Drinking Gourd was an African reference to one of their most ancient navigational settings between heaven and earth – the ‘Big Dipper’ constellation that pointed to the North Star and direction of their escape. Though there is considerable irony in African ancestral memory being masqueraded as Christian worship songs and the like, such survival tactics through traditional oral-aesthetic strategies had become necessary since the horrific Atlantic crossing when enslavers disabled the capacity of the captives’ communication infrastructure by destroying their musical instruments.
Earth Wind & Fire (EWF) is undoubtedly one of the greatest bands of all time, as their claim to three of the four natural elements suggest they should be! Hits like In the Stone provide EWF fans an Afrofuturistic portal through which to access and interpret some of the Mysteries of ancient Egypt, the “gift of the Nile.” Djehuti – god of communication/writing, magic and wisdom – recognized Africa as god’s chosen land where the northward flow of the Nile gave rise to sacred Mysteries, mythologies and the architectures that arose along its river-banks. He referred to this psycho-geographic mirror of heaven-on-earth (known locally as Maziwa Mkuu – “the Great Milk” or Milky Way) as the Temple of the World. At Uaset on the river’s east bank, Ipet Resyt – the “southern sanctuary” of god/dess consorts Amun-Mut – was constructed to resemble the human form. It was at such temples where ancient Mysteries were housed as sacred knowledge for chosen initiates. Inscribed within the stone walls of this temple’s ‘throat area’ is the pre-Christian Annunciation [1350BCE] from Amun to his beloved about the divine child and savior-figure she would bear.
Well-versed in such ancient Theogony, some of which he himself is said to have authored, Djehuti understood EWF as base elements that separately defined each of humanity’s precursors to the current Age of the Bearer of Water – the 4th element which is swayed by the moon and, like Earth, is organically associated with the Divine Feminine [Mut]. The current Age of Aquarius is defined by this being the constellation the sun moved into on the spring equinox in its 26,000-year journey through all 12 zodiac houses. Each successive grand age (approximately 2 millennia per sign) is heavily influenced by the sign’s element:
EARTH is the element which defined the Age of Taurus between c4400-2200 BCE, a time period traversing the Bronze Age which followed the previous Age of Gemini and supported the evolution of material culture around the world. Characterized by some as humanity’s Age of Growth, this was the grand age when the Sun was in the fixed sign of Taurus [Ausar – The Bull of Eternity]. Ancient Egypt’s Early Dynastic Period [c3150-2613 BCE] began with the Unification of Upper (south) & Lower (north) Egypt under Pharaoh Menes aka Narmer in 3100BCE. Called Sema Tawy, this unification was symbolized as a human trachea arising from the heart-chakra entwined with the papyrus (north) & lotus (south). Narmer‘s was the first of 30 successive dynasties which ruled and maintained civil order through a centralized government from the capital of Memphis. Ptah – god of craftsmen and sculptors who was venerated during this period – was heralded by Apis, the sacred bull-deity of ancient Egypt who was also the symbol of the Pharaohs of these times. By 2400BCE the basic formulation of the myth regarding Ausar-Auset, and their posthumously-conceived son Heru’s further contendings against Set (murderous throne-usurping god of foreigners, plague and chaos) was in place – a universal archetypal narrative which has survived from the Pyramid Texts to this day in derivative religious forms and “good-versus-evil” scripts and schemes that have been executed for better or worse around the world. Technological advances during this Age of Growth included the invention of hieroglyphs [Djehuti] & manufacturing of papyrus/paper which helped facilitate record-keeping, communication, etc. Furthermore, the Old Kingdom Period [c2613-2181BCE] saw two of the greatest architectural Wonders and Mysteries ever erected – the Giza Pyramids and the Great Sphinx which connect earth organically to heavenly powers. Seen another way, EARTH is the English language anagram for HEART… an ages-old Mystery mapped out from humanity’s womb and written in African stone… which “Set” violated.
FIRE is the element which defined the years that led from c2200 BCE [following a chaotic transition between Egypt’s Old & Middle Kingdoms] to the beginning of the Common Era. This was the period when the Sun relocated from Taurus in its ongoing precession to arise in Aries [Amun The Ram] – leader of the Zodiac, and the cardinal sign which begins the Spring season in the northern hemisphere. Uaset [Thebes/Luxor] had superseded Memphis as the ancient Egyptian capital by 2240BCE. Amun, now the venerated deity, was worshipped in two main temples where the Gemini bonds formalized during the Age of Taurus continued to be upheld and ritualized at Amun-Mut‘s Ipet Isut [northern sanctuary – Karnak] and Ipet Resyt [southern sanctuary – Luxor]. Ipet-Resyt is where eternal truths (including those held in the ‘throat area’) – such as ‘The Kingdom of Heaven is within you’ & ‘Know Thy Self’ – are written in stone. The Age of Aries is thus characterized by some as the Age of Law because this is when humanity’s first codes of justice and moral instruction were recorded. Notable also were the Negative Confessions upon which Judeo-Christianity’s Ten Commandments were later formulated from the Papyrus of Ani source, recorded c1275-1250BCE during the prosperous New Kingdom era. Also known as the Declarations of Innocence, this recitation in the Halls of Judgment of 42 uncommitted sins facilitated the transition of the soul between their earthly incarnation and the afterlife. The soul was weighed in the scales against the feather of Ma’at, goddess of Truth, Balance, Divine Order, Reciprocity & Justice [Libra]. The Age of Aries additionally saw the rise of Akhenaten, whose reputation became that of ‘the heretic king’ after his unwelcome cultural reforms, including the self-centered monotheistic cult of Aten-worship he instituted & oversaw from Amarna [1353-1336BCE]. Aten’s successor, his son who renamed himself from Tut’Ankh’Aten (‘living image of Aten’) to Tut’Ankh’Amun (‘living image of Amun’) restored ancient Egypt’s cultural traditions around Amun & returned its worship center to Uaset before his death at age 19 in 1324BCE.
WATER is the element which has defined the Common Era (Gregorian calendar) years to date during which the Sun transitioned to arise in Aries’ mutable neighbor Pisces, and usher in what some have defined as the Age of Faith. The evolution of transportation empowered the global reach and agendas of major patriarchal religions: mainly Judaism, Christianity, & Islam. Though core tenets of their holy books were in agreement with each other – often representing derivative text from ancient Egyptian sources – several inter/intra-faith wars broke out during this period, due in part to extremist cult elements that developed. Africa’s experience during the Piscean Age of Faith – which began with the Greco-Roman construction of a Gregorian timeline around the life of Jesus (savior-figure of Judeo-Christianity) – has been a major revelation of the enduring myth written in ancient Egypt during the Age of Taurus. Ausar-Auset-Heru were the original holy trinity whose very being was tested by Set – god of foreign invaders, plague and chaos. Jealous of their Heaven-on-Earth glory in ancient Egypt, Set murdered & mutilated King Ausar, scattering his 14 separated body parts into a wilderness where Queen Auset was forced to conduct her search-and-recovery mission as Set illegitimately assumed the Egyptian throne. The “wilderness” is allegorical to Africa’s experience of chattel slavery [1619-]; the colonial rape and reconstruction of Africa [1884-]; apartheid [1948-] etc… all at the hands of foreign invaders [“Set”] who justified such acts and their accompanying atrocities in the name of the god(s) of their “faith.” In the ancient mythology, Auset mummified the 13 pieces she was able to recover of her husband, while relying on divine intervention to posthumously conceive their son Heru, despite Ausar’s missing 14th piece, symbolized as the tkhn. Christianity translated this episode into its account of the “Immaculate Conception,” replacing Heru with “Jesus” as the avenging son and savior (notwithstanding the crucifixion) who restores Heaven-on-Earth’s rightful rule. “White Man’s Burden… Manifest Destiny… American Exceptionalism… Trumpism…” = samples of the Age of Faith’s cult-like justifications and controlling narratives that continue to be extolled & policed by certain factions.
AIR is the element which will define the next 2,000+ years as humanity decides what the narrative and legacy of this new Age of Aquarius should be(come) during the sun’s rising and sojourn prior to travelling from the Aquarius constellation to the next – presumably Capricorn. What’s fascinating to me is that the sun’s own path of enlightenment is a reverse journey through the western zodiac which is sequenced as Aries ruling the 1st house… Taurus the 2nd, Gemini the 3rd etc. through to the 12th and final house of Pisces. As Sankofa from the ancient African wisdom of the Akan suggests, perhaps there was something forgotten, lost, or stolen from a previous era which is absolutely necessary for humanity’s holistic ascension? 2019 – Africa’s “Year of Return” – marked the end of 400 prophetic “wilderness” years [via Set] in the northern hemisphere. One might view this as an initiation period in which the south-north bonds [UbuNtu/Sema Tawy] that were avowed in ancient Egypt during the aforementioned Ages of Ausar [Taurus] & Amun [Aries] following Egypt’s pre-Dynastic Age of Gemini are once again affirmed. Some have referred to 2019 as the “Year of the Divine Feminine” and 2020 as the “Year of the Divine Masculine,” while envisioning 2021 as the reunification “Year of Divine Twins” [Gemini]. Aquarius, the fixed air sign in western astrology, is symbolized as the water-bearer of the zodiac. Divine Twins who’ve spent lifetimes journeying towards reunification through self-reflection now offer their enriched cups to each other & say to the intuitive-emotional water element within, “Be still, and know that I ❤ AM GOD” [Psalm 46]. Air, the element Gemini & Aquarius both represent, is the oral-aesthetic energy which reveals itself in Kemet’s south-north/lotus-papyrus unification symbol as well as the annunciation in the ‘throat area’ of Ipet Resyt [southern sanctuary – Luxor]. Perhaps this Age of Aqua/New Earth is a Revelation ~ the ancient Promise of True.Love.Written.In.The.Stone [EWF] Blessed Be ❤ ❤ ❤
Following 2019 – the “Year of Return” marking the 400th anniversary since enslaved Africans first set foot in the Americas at Jamestown, VA in 1619 – 2020 has evolved as an iconoclastic year, following the horrific murder-by-police of George Floyd in the Twin City of Minneapolis, MN on African Liberation Day (May 25th). Ironic. Altars to the Confederacy, Christopher Columbus, and other self-congratulatory symbols of Euro-patriarchal oppression continue to be torn down in public spaces as the human collective grapples with repairing from the adverse impact of twin pandemics in 2020, both of which have claimed significant numbers of lives. Ironic? Yes, in that the most recent of these pandemics is identified by a term – “Corona” – which otherwise refers astronomically to the glow emitting from the sun and other stars, or anatomically to a person’s crown. The other pandemic – racism – has acted historically and virally through predatory patterns of invasion, exploitation, and control of the land and resources (human, spiritual, cultural…) of indigenous sovereigns in service to an elite-run matrix and its self-serving narratives.
You Want a Confederate Monument? My Body Is a Confederate Monument, Caroline Randall Williams wrote powerfully from the embodied perspective and sovereignty of her “rape-colored skin.” Sovereignty resides in diverse bodies and experiences despite centuries-old aggressive parasitic Euro-patriarchal agendas to consolidate the “shine” or sovereignty of others around its hegemonic presence, as Ezra Aharone exposes in a list of historic examples:
The European world of nationhood is seemingly based on democracy, but it was not built in democracy… Consider their motives and psychology behind the likes of the Magna Carta of 1215; the Westphalian Sovereignty Accord of 1648; Chattel Slavery; American Exceptionalism; the Treaty of Paris 1783; Manifest Destiny; the Berlin Colonial Congress of 1884; the White Man’s Burden; and Globalism of today… (The Sovereign Psyche, 2016).
Manifest Destiny – a core justification for white territorial expansion in north America between the War of 1812 and the Civil War of the 1860’s – was later rebranded American Exceptionalism as US-style democracy was promoted abroad. Its three basic programs hold that: (1) White people and their institutions have special virtues; (2) The United States has a mission to redeem and remake the world in its own image; and (3) Accomplishing this goal is America’s duty to god – hence its Manifest Destiny… euphemistically referred to as the White Man’s Burden. In contrast:
UbuNtu – a core guiding tenet of Bantu who comprised 40% of the enslaved African population in America (mainly from Congo and Angola) – is a unity-conscious philosophy evident in cultural retention and expression throughout the African Diaspora which Desmond Tutu describes thus: Africans believe in something that is difficult to render in English. We call it ubuntu… It means the essence of being human. You know when it is there and when it is absent. It speaks about humaneness, gentleness, hospitality, putting yourself out on behalf of others, being vulnerable. It embraces compassion and toughness. It recognizes that my humanity is bound up in yours, for we can only be human together.
Divine Twins – a term that’s come into popular use by those who look towards a prophetic Age of Aquarius to emerge from the outgoing Piscean Age – refers to the notion of advanced souls which have been split into two embodiments (masculine-feminine) in order for God/Love to experience separate and sovereign His-and-Her earthly incarnations before their journey back to each other. This Divine Twin Journey is said to be what fuels the ascension of unity-consciousness [UbuNtu] in humanity and Mama Earth at large, thus overriding institutionalized, homo-social white-man’s-burden dogmas of the Piscean Age such as salvation-at-the-cross. Lack of authentic sovereign agency has led most of humankind into profound states of disorientation and alienation from Source & Self, particularly when experienced systemically as racism, slavery, apartheid, colonialism, pedophilia, misogyny, etc. in the soulless false matrix.
It may come as a surprise to some active proponents of the concept of Divine Twins to learn that theirs is a journey back-to-the-future… for humanity’s sake. Sankofa is a reminder to Africans from the Akan of Ghana, meaning: In order to move forward, you must reach back to reclaim that which may have been lost, forgotten, or stolen. In other words, unity-consciousness (the overriding purpose of the Divine Twin Journey) would return us to the baseline of UbuNtu – that which a hegemonic elite, in fulfilling their “burden,” targeted for erasure from Africans specifically and humanity by extension, by imposing matrix agendas through division, conquest, trauma, (re)programming of timelines, and inventing of controlling narratives – which then required enforcement by policed-states throughout his predatory/parasitic system.
It’s interesting to me that proponents of the New Age who argue against the ‘matrix’ nevertheless do not acknowledge the targeting of black sovereignty that is at the karmic core of the system’s structure. Age of Aquarius advocates instead tend to speak from a westernized perspective rather than a familiarity with African culture and symbology, particularly as practiced in ancient Egypt [Kmt] from where Mysteries of the S/Hero’s Journey are said to have been originally formulated as a universal paradigm. Colonization of these Mysteries – e.g. Greco-Roman calendars & planetary nomenclatures – are used by most tarot readers in tandem with western astrology’s forecasting of daily-weekly-monthly planetary shifts and their ‘political’ alignments, hence ‘impacts’ in human affairs, such as the rare conjunction of December 21st [winter solstice northern hemisphere] between Jupiter & Saturn [Amun & Heru in Kmt], nicknamed the “Bethlehem/Christmas Star.” An occasional eavesdropper, I take from westernized narratives only what resonates with my understanding of more ancient sovereign advice: Popular beliefs on essential matters must be examined in order to discover the original thought [Ipet Resyt proverb]. The tarot is such an example:
In the tarot deck, the most impactful of the 78-cards are the 22 Major Arcana aka Trump cards – for better or worse. (The remaining 56 Minor Arcana cards cover ups-&-downs in daily life on the human plane: #1 – #10 corresponding to identically-numbered cards in the Major Arcana plane.) The Major Arcana cards range from #0 or The Fool card representing the vulnerable, untested truth-seeker at the start of their journey into The World (#21 card) – representing completion of the S/Hero’s Journey in which the truth-seeker has successfully overcome obstacles & challenges, often by adversarial forces. Between these two cards lies the hidden prophecy of the Divine Twins, who show up as:
The Magician – #1 card (Djehuti in Kmt) – representing the Divine Masculine, is armed with tools and his electrifying energy which initiates change through manifestation from the ether into beingness. Tools of The Magician include symbols for each of the 4 elemental archetypes symbolized by their Suits, namely: Pentacles – aka Earth – representing the archetype of King [Ausar]; Swords – aka Air/Wind …the Warrior [Heru] archetype; Wands – aka Fire …the Magician; and Cups – aka Water …the Lover [Amun]. In Kemetic Mysteries, each archetype has a Divine Feminine counterpart [Ref: Khmunu – Ogdoad of Hermopolis], as well as a shadow side [Set] that must be overcome during the Divine Masculine’s Hero Journey. The fully-integrated Lover (‘The Hidden One’ who also embodies the other archetypes as Emperor – #4 card) is the “water-bearer” partner/usher of the Age of Aquarius/New Earth. And it is the union of The Lovers [#6 card] against which The Devil [#15 card: 1+5 = ‘#6’] acts as adversary, to prevent New Earth/The World [#21 card] from becoming, because The Lovers/Divine Twins ultimate union would mean Babylon.Has.Fallen… New.Earth.Is.Risen.
The High Priestess – #2 card (Seshat in Kmt – aka ‘the veiled Auset’) – representing the Divine Feminine Twin counterpart – plays a mirroring role to The Magician [As Above, so Below… As Within, so Without…]. If he’s in his shadow-energy as trickster, for instance, The High Priestess – in her truth [Ma’at] and unique role and being as Twin – mirrors that back to him in a way that acts to transmute his energy to a higher free-quency. Conversely, the Divine Masculine does the same for her. The Divine Feminine also anchors a complementary magnetic energy field which physically draws the Divine Counterparts towards each other and simultaneously towards their higher electro-magnetic, unity-conscious free-quency [UbuNtu] of New Earth. As their mission of Love aligns and advances, the Magnum Opus which their conjoined soul is co-creating as Divine Twins is literally the biblical Song of Songs in which the Shulamite’s soul presents throughout as seeking for and calling to her Divine Masculine & God of Revelation…
CALL: Make haste, my beloved, and be thou like to a roe or to a young hart upon the mountains of spices [SoS 8:14] RESPONSE: Behold, I come quickly; hold that fast which thou hast, that no man take thy crown [Rev 3:11]
As proverbs written ‘in the stone’ of Ipet Resyt state: “If the Master teaches what is error, the disciple’s submission is slavery. If he teaches truth, this submission is ennoblement… The kingdom of heaven is within you. Whosoever shall know Herself shall find it.”
Beyond The Devil [#15] and The Tower [#16], the Heavenly Realm is presented in the last 5 cards of the Major Arcana as: #17 – The Star; #18 – The Moon; #19 – The Sun; #20 – Judgement; & #21 – The World. During the Underground Railroad period, enslaved Africans in the south knew to follow the North Star [#17] via ‘the Drinking Gourd’ …exit the matrix …and advance towards the entry-portal to New Earth. What will follow from this iconoclastic year of review and judgement? #The World… ❤ #UbuNtu… ❤ #Age of the Water-Bearer… ❤ Amun…
Thabo Mvuyelwa Mbeki, the second president of South Africa [June 1999 – September 2008], delivered this self-penned speech entitled “I Am an African” on May 8th, 1996. During this time Mbeki was serving as Vice President of South Africa under Nelson Mandela’s post-Apartheid Presidency. The occasion was the passing of the new Constitution of South Africa. VP Mbeki’s speech, delivered on behalf of the African National Congress, captured the political mood of the moment in South Africa:
I am an African.
I owe my being to the hills and the valleys, the mountains and the glades, the rivers, the deserts, the trees, the flowers, the seas and the ever-changing seasons that define the face of our native land.
My body has frozen in our frosts and in our latter-day snows. It has thawed in the warmth of our sunshine and melted in the heat of the midday sun. The crack and the rumble of the summer thunders, lashed by startling lightning, have been a cause both of trembling and of hope.
The fragrances of nature have been as pleasant to us as the sight of the wild blooms of the citizens of the veld.
The dramatic shapes of the Drakensberg, the soil-coloured waters of the Lekoa, iGqili noThukela, and the sands of the Kgalagadi, have all been panels of the set on the natural stage on which we act out the foolish deeds of the theatre of the day.
At times, and in fear, I have wondered whether I should concede equal citizenship of our country to the leopard and the lion, the elephant and the springbok, the hyena, the black mamba and the pestilential mosquito.
A human presence among all of these, a feature on the face of our native land thus defined, I know that none dare challenge me when I say – I am an African!
I owe my being to the Khoi and the San whose desolate souls haunt the great expanses of the beautiful Cape – they who fell victim to the most merciless genocide our native land has ever seen, they who were the first to lose their lives in the struggle to defend our freedom and independence and they who, as a people, perished in the result.
Today, as a country, we keep an inaudible and audible silence about these ancestors of the generations that live, fearful to admit the horror of a former deed, seeking to obliterate from our memories a cruel occurrence which, in its remembering, should teach us not and never to be inhuman again.
I am formed of the migrants who left Europe to find a new home on our native land. Whatever their own actions, they remain still part of me.
In my veins courses the blood of the Malay slaves who came from the East. Their proud dignity informs my bearing, their culture a part of my essence. The stripes they bore on their bodies from the lash of the slave master are a reminder embossed on my consciousness of what should not be done.
I am the grandchild of the warrior men and women that Hintsa and Sekhukhune led, the patriots that Cetshwayo and Mphephu took to battle, the soldiers Moshoeshoe and Ngungunyane taught never to dishonour the cause of freedom.
My mind and my knowledge of myself is formed by the victories that are the jewels in our African crown, the victories we earned from Isandhlwana to Khartoum, as Ethiopians and as Ashanti of Ghana, as Berbers of the desert.
I am the grandchild who lays fresh flowers on the Boer graves at St Helena, The Bahamas, and the Vrouemonument, who sees in the mind’s eye and suffers the suffering of a simple peasant folk, death, concentration camps, destroyed homesteads, a dream in ruins.
I am the child of Nongqawuse. I am he who made it possible to trade in the world markets in diamonds, in gold, in the same food for which our stomachs yearn.
I come of those who were transported from India and China, whose being resided in the fact, solely, that they were able to provide physical labour, who taught me that we could both be at home and be foreign, who taught me that human existence itself demanded that freedom was a necessary condition for that human existence.
Being part of all of these people, and in the knowledge that none dares contest that assertion, I shall claim that – I am an African.
I have seen our country torn asunder as these, all of whom are my people, engaged one another in a titanic battle, the one to redress a wrong that had been caused by one to another and the other, to defend the indefensible.
I have seen what happens when one person has superiority of force over another, when the stronger appropriate to themselves the prerogative even to annul the injunction that God created all men and women in His image.
I know what it signifies when race and colour are used to determine who is human and who, sub-human.
I have seen the destruction of all sense of self-esteem, the consequent striving to be what one is not, simply to acquire some of the benefits which those who had imposed themselves as masters had ensured that they enjoy.
I have experience of the situation in which race and colour is used to enrich some and impoverish the rest.
I have seen the corruption of minds and souls as a result of the pursuit of an ignoble effort to perpetrate a veritable crime against humanity.
I have seen concrete expression of the denial of the dignity of a human being emanating from the conscious, systemic and systematic oppressive and repressive activities of other human beings.
There the victims parade with no mask to hide the brutish reality – the beggars, the prostitutes, the street children, those who seek solace in substance abuse, those who have to steal to assuage hunger, those who have to lose their sanity because to be sane is to invite pain.
Perhaps the worst among these, who are my people, are those who have learnt to kill for a wage. To these the extent of death is directly proportional to their personal welfare.
And so, like pawns in the service of demented souls, they kill in furtherance of the political violence in KwaZulu-Natal. They murder the innocent in the taxi wars.
They kill slowly or quickly in order to make profits from the illegal trade in narcotics. They are available for hire when husband wants to murder wife and wife, husband.
Among us prowl the products of our immoral and amoral past – killers who have no sense of the worth of human life, rapists who have absolute disdain for the women of our country, animals who would seek to benefit from the vulnerability of the children, the disabled, and the old, the rapacious who brook no obstacle in their quest for self-enrichment.
All this I know and know to be true because I am an African!
Because of that, I am also able to state this fundamental truth that I am born of a people who are heroes and heroines.
I am born of a people who would not tolerate oppression.
I am of a nation that would not allow that fear of death, of torture, of imprisonment, of exile or persecution should result in the perpetuation of injustice.
The great masses who are our mother and father will not permit that the behaviour of the few results in the description of our country and people as barbaric.
Patient because history is on their side, these masses do not despair because today the weather is bad. Nor do they turn triumphalist when, tomorrow, the sun shines.
Whatever the circumstances they have lived through and because of that experience, they are determined to define for themselves who they are and who they should be.
We are assembled here today to mark their victory in acquiring and exercising their right to formulate their own definition of what it means to be African.
The Constitution whose adoption we celebrate constitutes an unequivocal statement that we refuse to accept that our African-ness shall be defined by our race, our colour, our gender or our historical origins.
It is a firm assertion made by ourselves that South Africa belongs to all who live in it, Black and White.
It gives concrete expression to the sentiment we share as Africans, and will defend to the death, that the people shall govern.
It recognises the fact that the dignity of the individual is both an objective which society must pursue, and is a goal which cannot be separated from the material well-being of that individual.
It seeks to create the situation in which all our people shall be free from fear, including the fear of the oppression of one national group by another, the fear of the disempowerment of one social echelon by another, the fear of the use of state power to deny anybody their fundamental human rights and the fear of tyranny.
It aims to open the doors so that those who were disadvantaged can assume their place in society as equals with their fellow human beings without regards to colour, to race, to gender, to age or to geographic dispersal.
It provides the opportunity to enable each one and all to state their views, to promote them, to strive for their implementation in the process of governance without fear that a contrary view will be met with repression.
It creates a law-governed society which shall be inimical to arbitrary rule.
It enables the resolution of conflicts by peaceful means rather than resort to force.
It rejoices in the diversity of our people and creates the space for all of us voluntarily to define ourselves as one people.
As an African, this is an achievement of which I am proud, proud without reservation and proud without any feeling of conceit.
Our sense of elevation at this moment also derives from the fact that this magnificent product is the unique creation of African hands and African minds.
But it also constitutes a tribute to our loss of vanity that we could, despite the temptation to treat ourselves as an exceptional fragment of humanity, draw on the accumulated experience and wisdom of all humankind, to define for ourselves what we want to be.
Together with the best in the world, we too are prone to pettiness, to petulance, selfishness and short-sightedness.
But it seems to have happened that we looked at ourselves and said the time had come that we make a super-human effort to be other than human, to respond to the call to create for ourselves a glorious future, to remind ourselves of the Latin saying: Gloria est consequenda – Glory must be sought after.
Today it feels good to be an African.
It feels good that I can stand here as a South African and as a foot soldier of a titanic African army, the African National Congress, to say to all the parties represented here, to the millions who made an input into the processes we are concluding, to our outstanding compatriots who have presided over the birth of our founding document, to the negotiators who pitted their wits one against the other, to the unseen stars who shone unseen as the management and administration of the Constitutional Assembly, the advisers, the experts and the publicists, to the mass communication media, to our friends across the globe – congratulations and well done!
I am an African.
I am born of the peoples of the continent of Africa.
The pain of the violent conflict that the peoples of Liberia, and of Somalia, of the Sudan, of Burundi and Algeria is a pain I also bear.
The dismal shame of poverty, suffering and human degradation of my continent is a blight that we share.
The blight on our happiness that derives from this and from our drift to the periphery of the ordering of human affairs leaves us in a persistent shadow of despair.
This is a savage road to which nobody should be condemned. The evolution of humanity says that Africa reaffirms that she is continuing her rise from the ashes.
Whatever the setbacks of the moment, nothing can stop us now! Whatever the difficulties, Africa shall be at peace!
Thank you very much.